Updating your router’s firmware can help your router perform better and also improve your network security. The firmware updates address a pre-existing bug or improve security features or add support to fast internet speeds. So it’s imperative to keep your firmware updated with every new release.
There are a couple of ways to upgrade your router firmware. Some of the modern-day routers come with automatic firmware updates. On enabling it, the router updates the firmware whenever a newer version of the software gets released. The manual update requires you to either manually start the installation or download the newer version from the router support website and update it.
In this article, I will walk you through the step-by-step process of updating the firmware using both ways.
How to Update The Router Firmware? 
Step 1: Finding the Router IP
The first step in updating the router firmware is to log in to the administrator page of the router. You need the “Router IP” or “Default Gateway” to access the administrator page. You can find the IP of your router using the following methods:
- Press Windows+R and Type cmd to open the command prompt
2. In the command prompt, type “ipconfig” and press enter
Your “Router IP” will be listed as the default gateway.
- Go to the Settings -> WiFi of your smartphone
2. You can find the “Router IP” listed as Gateway
- Choose Network under system preferences
2. Select the Wi-Fi and click Advanced settings at the bottom right corner
3. You can find the “Router IP” under the tab TCP/IP
Step 2: Log into the Administrator page
Once you have the “Router IP” from the last step, you can use it to access the administration page. Alternatively, you can give the URL given by your manufacturer. I have listed a few URLs from the most common router manufacturers.
- Netgear: Enter http://routerlogin.net
- TP-Link: Type in http://tplinkwifi.net
- Linksys: Enter “192.168.1.1”
- ASUS: Input “http://router.asus.com”
- D-Link: Enter http://dlinkrouter.local
Once you input the details in the browser and press enter, it will take you to the login page where you will have to enter the login credentials. Your username and password will be the default combination or the password you had set during the initial setup.
After completing the login, navigate to the configuration to perform the firmware upgrade. Please find the step-by-step process to complete the firmware update.
- Once you login into the page; Most router pages will have a notification on the home page if there is an update.
2. Check & Locate firmware
It will take you to a page where you can update the firmware from your local drive if you have it ready or you can click the “Check” button to check for a newer version.
3. Click “Yes” to initiate the firmware update, once the processing is complete
Once the check is complete the firmware upgrade assistant will furnish the details of the current version and newer version (if available).
Manually Updating the Firmware
If you choose to update the firmware manually, please follow the mentioned process
1. You can go to the support page of your model. Click the ‘Downloads‘ button.
2. Scroll down to find the requisite version
3. Download the file to the local hard disk
4. Go to the Advanced tab -> Administration- > Router update
5. Click browse, choose the downloaded file and click upload
Once the file is uploaded, the update will start.
Setting Auto-Update For Router Firmware
The most recent routers have the facility to enable auto-update. Once enabled the router updates the latest version of the firmware whenever it is available.
- Go to the Advanced tab -> Administration. Next, click ‘Router Update‘
- Under the Router Auto Firmware Update, Click Enable and then Apply
Don’t interrupt the update process at any point. Ensure the router has a continuous power supply during the installation. Once the firmware is updated the router will restart and the internet will be resumed on login.
While updating the firmware is crucial to its performance, any interruption to the firmware update can corrupt the router and render it unusable. It’s advisable to take professional help if you are not confident of the entire process.